Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Masala Idli

I was inspired to start blogging from a good friend JZ,who has an absolutely beautiful blog where she puts up her culinary experiments and recipes.She always encouraged me to start one myself. Not a great cook and no good at researching cooking related stuff,I thought I will stick to a journal kind.
Today I tried a little recipe at home and thought will post it here as a dedication to my friend.
Idlis are a staple at my home,but I often end up with left over idlis-4-5 of them which none in family wants to eat a day later.I came across this idea from recipe for masala idlis which is essentially made from leftover idlis. Gave it a few twists like adding more vegetables and I must say the result was pretty good.

Idlis-5 cut into cubes
Tomato-1 big,chopped
Onion- 1 medium,chopped
green chilly-sliced lengthwise-2
Coriander leaves-for garnish
ginger-finely chopped-1/2 tbsp
Carrot-grated( optional-I used 1 carrot)

In a pan,heat oil and season with mustard,urud dal and curry leaves.
Add onion and saute till its a little brown,then add ginger,green chilli and tomato and grated carrot. Add salt,chill powder,turmeric powder(according to amount of spiciness needed-I used very little)After 2 mins,Add 1/2 glass of water. Put in the idlis and heat till all water is absorbed.
Remove from fire and garnish with coriander leaves and a pinch of garam masala( I omitted garam masala)


4 comments:

Shwe said...

hey that looks absolutely delicious-should defenitely try it.I sometimes make curd idli(thiru idli) which is also great!

@the_whisk_affair said...

Thanks a lot sonia, i am honored!!! You didnt have to dedicate it to me (BLUSH!!) Anyways, you are doing a good job, and u shud be proud!!

Ichu said...

It looks yummy.........

@the_whisk_affair said...

we want more articles and recipes from you! :-)